Saturday, March 24, 2012

Kisses at 5 a.m.

For almost 12 years now, I've been awakened each morning with a soft kiss goodbye around 5 a.m. My husband works in the construction field which starts each day at the most unreasonable hours. Or at least I think so!

Mornings, to say it in the kindest way, are not my best time of day. I have always taken after my father's trait of sleeping in as late as I can. Even when life has gotten me out of bed much earlier than I would have liked, I'm still not at my best. I need a good couple of hours in the morning to get my legs underneath me. In my college and single days, I would make up for a slow start by having a great late night finish! Going to bed at 1 or 2 a.m. was usual for me. I can no longer say that as sleep usually hits me around embarrassingly 9:30 p.m. My days are getting squeezed out as my mornings are sleepier and bed comes so much earlier. Exciting, right? :-)

For Matt, though, mornings are his best time. He is up between 4- 5 a.m., in the shower, dressed, made coffee and has time to catch a minute or two of early morning news. All this has taken place while I'm still snuggled under down comforting. Then I hear the same sound I've heard each morning out the window - the sound of this huge, all testosterone, heavy duty diesel truck. They are not quiet in the morning, let me tell you. Our neighbors for 12 years have also had the pleasure of knowing when Matt has left for work.

Matt is now working full time in North Dakota so the kisses and the sounds of his truck are not as frequent anymore. But I this I have come to realize...

Matt is a far better person than I. :-)

Like clockwork, Matt gets up and goes to work. He battles Las Vegas drivers, ungodly hot hours, transient and often untrustworthy employees, a demanding boss and more and more and more. For over 19 years, he's been in this industry and has grown from a basic operator to the General Superintendent of two thriving businesses under one name. Even now, work has pulled him away from his home he continues to provide for; he is living in a dorm style room with several other men pulled away from their families for work in the rural-est of places, North Dakota and he keeps showing up.

I would have buckled by this point. :-)

At this time in our marriage, I've come to treasure this one truth. Love is played out by kisses at 5 a.m. The love in our marriage has not always been communicated by flowers each day or sappy love notes left on the bathroom mirror, although those have shown up. It hasn't always been romantic date nights each week or high priced jewelry, although I've been blessed with those at times as well. Love has been displayed in the soft, faithful kisses at 5 a.m., that remind me Matt is still saying his vows each time he provides for our family another day. They remind me that no matter what heated argument we engaged in the night before, today is a new day and we get to start over as a couple. The sounds of his truck remind me that although I'm sure he would like to spend his very hard earned money on a sports car or 10,000 acre ranch somewhere, he gives to us, which often includes gymnastic lessons and a new kitchen gadget. Books for this avid reader. College accounts and make up lines. Bicycles and a new recliner for his wife. American girl dolls and whiplash scooters.

You see, Matt is a better person than I :-)

He has always been more generous, servant hearted and hard working than I. I get way more credit than I deserve.

I love you, honey. I don't know when you'll read this as you are more often putting your hands to the task than fooling around on the computer, but I'll show it to you soon. :-)

Thankful for kisses at 5 a.m........

No comments: